This Sanctuary was constructed in 1858, and it certainly has had a few upgrades over the past 159 years. The bricks were baked in the sun on a nearby plantation owned by John Byne Walker; each of the bricks have a stamp of JBW on the inside. Because they were sunbaked rather than kiln-baked, the bricks have to be sealed periodically, otherwise they serve as sponges soaking up water which then permeates the inside plaster walls. We had the bricks sealed last summer, and now we are in process of redoing and painting some interior plaster walls. The upkeep of our aging, beautiful historic facility is a work in progress.